I see clients on a daily basis that are dealing with financial difficulties. The pressures they face often impact upon their personal lives. By providing a workable solution to their financial difficulties we can provide the added advantage of assisting to relieve the associated personal implications. There is a sense of reward when a client enters our office in difficulty and leaves with a plan for the future.
Robert is a principal of BRI Ferrier North Queensland and a registered and official liquidator. Joining the firm in 2002, Robert has 10 years experience within the insolvency industry and provides services in company insolvency, business recovery and personal insolvency. Having earned his experience in northern Queensland, Robert has a keen understanding of the region’s issues and its associated economic challenges. Robert has provided corporate recovery services to a wide range of industries including retail, manufacturing, agribusiness, transportation, property, construction and tourism & hospitality.
- In 2012 Robert was appointed as liquidator to Beds R Us and More, a furniture retailer in Townsville. Due to insufficient working capital, the business was no longer viable and subsequently closed. Robert is currently in the process of realising assets.
- In 2012 Robert was appointed as liquidator to a plumbing business specialising in roofing. Due to a declining workflow and poor management of debtors, the business was closed. Robert is currently in the process of collecting cash retentions for completed and uncompleted projects.
- In 2012 Robert was appointed as liquidator for a mining services company that provided dam linings to both electricity and mining entities. Due to excessive drawings, the business had insufficient capital to continue operations. Robert subsequently closed the business and realised the assets.
- In 2012 Robert was appointed as liquidator to a sand quarry. Due to a debtor dispute, the quarry had insufficient capital to continue business. Robert will potentially commence legal proceedings in his current pursuit of debts owed to the quarry.
- In 2011 BRI Ferrier was appointed as receiver and manager to a lodge of 30 units providing long and short term accommodation. Robert assisted with trading the lodge for 12 months while enhancing and rehabilitating the property. Robert oversaw the sale of the business and a return was paid to the secured creditor.
- In 2010, whilst Robert was a manager, BRI Ferrier was appointed voluntary administrator to a Motor Inn in central Queensland. Situated to meet the needs of surrounding mining operations, the Inn was directly affected by the closure of neighbouring mines (closed as a direct result of the GFC). With declining occupancy rates and debts in excess of $1million, the Inn was forced into administration. Robert assisted the appointees in the development and administration of a deed of company arrangement, trading the business for six months before selling it as a going concern. All creditors were paid in full and the company is no longer under external administration.
- In 2012 Robert was informally appointed to assist a client with negotiations with the client’s creditor for payment of their account. Robert detailed the client’s situation and financial circumstances to the creditor and provided a report on what the likely return would be if an insolvency practitioner was appointed. At the conclusion, the creditor accepted a payment arrangement over a period of time and received the full value of the debt. The client was able to continue with their business into the future.
Qualifications and memberships
- Registered and official liquidator
- Member, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Certified Practising Accountants (CPA Australia)
- Bachelor of Commerce - James Cook University