We provide frank, honest advisory and apply a practical commercial focus to our assignments.
Darren joins BRI Ferrier as a valued member of the forensic accounting team. With over 15 years of experience in the field of accounting within commerce and public accounting across a wide number of industry sectors, Darren can quickly understand the key drivers in any business. He has worked in senior commercial roles in businesses through difficult economic conditions and has real-world experience in implementing financial and operational processes that work. His experience has included roles as Financial Controller, Company Secretary and Commercial Manager with medium sized companies in mining, engineering and professional services.
Darren has also presented educational training courses in the fields of accounting and audit for universities and the professional accountancy bodies. This has given him the ability to communicate complex matters in simple language tailored to the relevant audience.
- Listed tourism and hospitality group of companies - Audit of ASX listed tourism and hospitality company. Key audit risk areas included assessment of asset valuations after significant market downturn, revenue recognition, impairment of receivables and going concern issues. Responsibilities included technical presentations to the Board on appropriate accounting methods for fair value, including extensive liaison with directors and ASIC regarding accounting treatment of impairment of assets due to significant market downturn.
- Marine logistics company - Audit of marine logistics company, including liaison with directors during the preparation of the business for sale. Audit risk areas included consideration of asset impairment, going concern, foreign currency transactions and revenue recognition. Responsibilities included liaising with the Board on all audit matters including the presentation of the audit findings to the Audit Committee.
- Listed mining exploration company - Acted as Company Secretary for public company for seven years, including assisting with the Initial Public Offering and listing on the Australian Stock Exchange. Responsibilities included liaising with the Board and the Regulators on all corporate governance matters including the preparation and lodgement of financial reports.
- Corporate Group - Construction and Engineering - Audit of group of companies operating in the construction and engineering sector with turnover of $500M. Key audit risks included revenue recognition, collectability of receivables and valuation of work-in-progress. Responsibilities included management of diverse team of staff in separate locations and completion of audit within tight timeframes.
Qualifications and memberships
- Fellow, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Member, Institute of Internal Auditors Australia
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Member – Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Bachelor of Commerce, James Cook University