I get immense satisfaction from assisting people with their financial situations and providing them with an outcome that is commercial, sound and achievable. Clients often are overwhelmed with trying to cope with a multitude of financial pressures. I assist them in clarifying all the factors and weighing up the various alternatives available to them. My guidance is tailored for each client, whether it involves our services or not. By providing a free initial confidential consultation, my clients do not feel that we are adding to their financial worries with additional costs.
Moira is a registered and official liquidator and registered trustee in bankruptcy with 18 years experience in the insolvency industry. A principal in the Townsville office, Moira joined the firm in 1995. With extensive local knowledge, she has a sound understanding of the diverse economic challenges particular to North Queensland. With experience in corporate liquidations and receiverships, Moira has a particular interest in personal bankruptcy and personal insolvency agreements. While predominantly working with small to medium sized enterprises, her industry experience incorporates managed investment schemes, transport, civil engineering, property and construction, retail and hospitality.
- Informally engaged to provide advisory to a local SME operating within the wholesaling and transport industry in western Queensland and the Northern Territory. Moira advised the company with regard to its pricing, competitors’ pricing, market forecasts and expectations.Additionally, Moira oversaw the subsequent restructure of the company’s operations, designed to allow for a more competitive pricing structure. After six months, Moira reviewed the company’s finances and found that the restructure had had a positive financial impact.
- Appointed administrator and then liquidator to OZ Design Townsville, a local furniture outlet franchise. Moira briefly traded the business before relocating the furniture to a suitable location where she held a widely advertised sale. With the results of the sale far exceeding those of a regular auction, Moira successfully realised the company’s assets and provided a satisfying return to stakeholders.
- Appointed bankruptcy trustee for an individual operating a taxi truck delivery service. After initial investigations revealed significant anomalies in the goods delivered, the Property Squad of Brisbane police were contacted. After a police raid on five different premises, the police confiscated six shipping containers of stolen goods. Moira liaised with the police with regards to the return of the stolen items and with the prosecutions against those parties involved.
- Moira oversaw the receivership of the Corones Hotel, a heritage listed hotel in Charleville. With the hotel trading under receivership for five months, Moira oversaw the necessary construction renovations to meet health and safety standards. Maintaining the heritage listing, the hotel was subsequently sold as a going concern with monies owing repaid to the secured creditor.
- Moira oversaw the liquidation of a runout mortgage business which was an unregistered managed investment scheme. Litigation was commenced against the legal advisors for negligence resulting in successfully returning to investors (many of whom were pensioners) between 95% and 100% of their capital investment, some plus interest.
- Moira oversaw the receivership of a corn farm with operations in both north and south east Queensland. With security over the crop, plant and equipment, Moira was responsible for harvesting the crop and auctioning the plant and equipment. Subsequently, after the respective sales the secured creditor received the majority of funds owing.
- BRI Ferrier was appointed voluntary administrator to a local bricklayer who was owed approximately $300,000 for variations by an international construction company. Entering into a deed of company arrangement, Moira oversaw litigation against the international construction company. Subsequently, creditors were paid 98 cents in the dollar and the company was returned to the director to continue as a going concern.
Qualifications and memberships
- Registered and official liquidator
- Registered trustee in bankruptcy
- Member, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association of Australia
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Bachelor of Commerce, James Cook University